[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
badkittygames.net • View topic - Remember Fairy Side?

Remember Fairy Side?

Literally everything else- anime, non-hentai games, memes, whatevs.

Remember Fairy Side?

Postby Cazador » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:30 pm

Back in like, 2014, people talked about a spin-off of HC called "Fairy Side". But now it's nowhere to be found, and I didn't manage to dig up anything. So, what happened to it?
Cazador

Re: Remember Fairy Side?

Postby GolemGaming55 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:25 pm

@cazador
Silly cazador everyone know the spin off will be called Sengoku Harem Collector, it'll be set in japan, and you have to protect the oda house from and incoming demon invasion, in the game you can take over other countries, like land of the fish, africa, a sex institute, chocobo ranch, minecraft, assassians creed, land of the hermaphrodites and many more
GolemGaming55

Postby NoMoshing » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:52 am

TL;DR - The maker of Fairy Side and I worked together for a time, had a falling out and no longer speak to one another, I don't know for sure but I assume she stopped working on it at around the same time.

Also, please be warned that this post will discuss politics a fair bit, so if you're not able to discuss such things in a mature manner, I'd recommend stopping here. The rules against hate speech and general douchebaggery will be judiciously enforced in this thread.

So it's been not quite four years since the last time I spoke to MWL, enough time for some perspective, and also far enough away from the events I'm about to describe that I highly doubt she is coming by to check on these forums at all. So, here is in (mostly) full account of the relationship I had with MagicWhiteLady at the time, Harem Collector: Fairy Side and why both ended.

MWL and I had been friends for a long time. We dated briefly in high school, before MWL figured out that she was queer, and while we had a messy break up (do teenagers have any other kind?) a few months later we decided to just be friends, and were much more successful with that kind of relationship. MWL quickly became my best friend, and to make a long story short, I met Nekochan, went to college, dropped out, went through a lot of shit in general, and still MWL and I were friends. When Nekochan and I got married, MWL was one of the bridesmaids. The reason why I'm relating all this is because, I think, it would help you realize why I was relying on MWL so much, and trusted her in spite of what was going on.

So, it's 2013. The two big hentai RPGs that fit in with my fetishes (Ker's Harem and CypressZ's Overwhored) were on hiatus and it didn't look like they were coming back. I had started work on Harem Collector the previous December and by February, Nekochan had discovered the project files on our PC and encouraged me to share it online. Having told my wife already, it made sense to tell my best friend. MWL was very supportive and encouraging of my efforts, and eventually asked to be a part of the project. But, being as queer as she was, MWL had very little interest in the characters and events of Harem Collector proper, and so proposed this- she would make a bisexual and genderqueer-oriented spinoff of Harem Collector, called Harem Collector: Fairy Side (in parody of the Tokimeki Memorial: Girl's Side spin off series). The two games would share a world but play out on different continents with very little crossover, and we would have full creative control over our own individual projects.

We had previously discussed starting a business to develop video games with the help of Nekochan and MWL's boyfriend/roommate, and even got so far as to draw up a project design document and explore getting a startup loan. That eventually fell apart due to the unequal risks involved (basically, due to our economic situation at the time, Nekochan would have almost all the risk for any business loan despite being the least invested in the project itself), which is why when MWL joined me in working on HC, it was with the understanding that I would have full ownership of Bad Kitty Games and the Harem Collector IP, but she would enjoy 100% of the profits that Fairy Side specifically managed to generate. I'd help her in designing and programming Fairy Side, she would help me with photoshop and art design for the core Harem Collector. And, for a time, it worked. Eventually CypressZ started developing Overwhored again, reached out to me, and I introduced the two of them, and the three of us started doing the Indecent Gaming Podcast together.

In retrospect, there were a lot of little things that took us to the breaking point. First of all, Harem Collector was always more successful than Fairy Side. At the time, we were both using Paypal donations to get by, and working in the same room almost every day meant that we were each privy to the other's success. I can't really fault her for being jealous (I keep CypressZ at arm's length these days for exactly the same reason) but it was another brick in the wall, so to speak. There were others. She was struggling with her gender identity at the time and I was really struggling to keep up with that (thanks, Catholic upbringing). GamerGate was in full swing, and in spite of my mild opinions on that, we still fought about it. Dragon Age: Inquisition had just come out and because I held negative opinions about a couple characters who were darlings of LGBTQ gamer circles, we fought about that. Ultimately a lot of really petty stuff, but it was bricks on bricks- this is how you build a wall between two people.

The final straw played out on Facebook. There was an article on Cracked.com which was mainly about a couple people with functional autism criticizing Autism Speaks. One of their complaints was that, at the time, Autism Speaks was still seeking to "cure" autism. I shared the article on Facebook, pointing out that that level of "extreme SJW nonsense" was awful and that it was super easy for a couple of functional autistic adults to criticize a search for a potential cure when there are people who are absolutely crippled by that illness. MWL and her boyfriend/roommate/whatever person both came at me, hard, in the comments section of my post. Not over the specific criticism I made, mind, but my use of the term "SJW". I have long deleted everything, and my recall is as flawed as anyone's, but they both compared being an SJW to a religion or a racial identity.

Now, I am very left-wing myself. In the US you'd call me a "social democrat", here in Canada I'm a card-carrying member of the New Democratic Party. In the past I've marched in favour of indigenous rights and more recently I've counter-protested white nationalists. I value equality of opportunity, am a vocal critic of capitalism, and welcome immigrants to my country with open arms. But I am not a cultist, and by no way do I believe that "the movement", so to speak, is above reproach or free from criticism. So, behold the power of the echo chamber- in a few months to a year after the GamerGate debacle, as progressive as I am, I was no longer progressive enough for two of my closest friends. And when this came out in our discussions at work, if I didn't have an opinion in lockstep with her own, she would seek to punish me for it, whether with longwinded guilt trips, the silent treatment, bitter arguments, or other forms of emotional manipulation.

At the time, I was undergoing therapy following my diagnosis of disthymia- a fairly elusive and difficult to treat form of depression. Following all of this, I was discussing the situation with my therapist, who was the first person to point out to me how toxic my relationship had become with MWL. She urged me to end the relationship, no matter how painful it would be, because continuing it was actively detrimental to my mental wellbeing. When I related by therapists' words to Nekochan, she said much the same thing- she had seen the effect MWL was having on me but knew that she couldn't be the one to broach the subject with me. So, I screwed my courage to the sticking place, and delivered an ultimatum to MWL- she could continue developing Fairy Side on her own under a different name, but I had no interest in working with her. Further, I had no interest at all in remaining friends with her boyfriend, though I was willing to "take a break" and come back to our friendship after a time and give it one last try.

MWL immediately stopped speaking with me, and while I received some angry middle-of-the-night texts from her boyfriend, I've not otherwise heard from them ever again. Boyfriend and I are still involved in some of the same political Facebook groups and I occasionally give or receive a like from him in discussions, but otherwise we keep each other beyond arms' length. Of Fairy Side, I have no idea what happened, but I suspect MWL isn't working on it anymore. Neko and I have but a single remaining friend in common with them who mentions them from time to time, beyond that it's been total silence. For my part, Nekochan and I seem to have a happier marriage, and I'm mentally healthier and more productive, I think.

So, moral of the story, beware the echo chamber, keep a steady eye on your own biases, be very cautious about going into business with your friends and try to be aware of which relationships end up hurting you you.

Currently Playing: Darkest Dungeon
Currently Working on: Skating along the edge of panic
Current Waifu: Kaguya Shinomiya, Kaguya-Sama: Love is War
NoMoshing
Site Admin

Postby Ranakel » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:36 am

Well that story certainly hit close to home. Both with something a friend related to me, and things I've/am experiencing myself.

And while it's too bad, as a matter of personal taste in lewd things, that this fairy side thing didn't end up taking flight, I'm very much happy that the Harem Collector we know and love didn't fall victim to that falling out. Even moreso that things ended out for the better with you.
Ranakel

Postby 2095conash » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:12 am

community manager and admin, feel free to for any comments, questions, or concerns.

I guess I get a mod voice now too. Cool. If you see me using this someone dun goofed.
2095conash

Postby Cazador » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:12 am

That's a much bigger story than what I expected. I thought it would be "project stopped due to loss of interest".

Having worked on both, derivative works tends to get much less success than original ones, while involving the same level of effort. And that's quite frustrating. The solution may have been to rebrand it as more original, but well, it's too late now.

Is it possible to really function socially whithout learning to control jealousy? There will always be reasons to be jealous, but you've got to deal with it.

About the politics, there's a saying that a fanatic is someone who won't change his mind and won't change the subject. While most people aren't willing to change their minds, being able to change the subject without holding grudges is good enough to keep healthy relationships. Well, I manage to keep SJW friends while being their political opposite by doing this.

I won't get into any specific politics here tho, it doesn't feel like the right place for that kind of discussion.
Cazador

Return to Everything Else