[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
badkittygames.net • View topic - Conash plays Harem Collector!

Conash plays Harem Collector!

Official forum for all things related to NoMoshing's Harem Collector.

Conash plays Harem Collector!

Postby 2095conash » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:17 am

So I'm totally not just jumping on this trend of users making let's plays here! Nope not one bit! In all seriousness, while I'm not sure if anyone's interested in this, I actually planned on doing this a bit later, see I realized that I kinda need to do a new playthrough without doing daily dungeon or the money maker game to see how much that spikes up the difficulty for resources/strategy, for the sake of my guides if nothing else. I WAS going to do this when the next version came out that way I'd always be at the 'intended level', but after finding out about all that cool new daily dungeon stuff that will be added I instead decided to do this limited playthrough now, and in order to keep in touch with the level limitations that I want to see, instead of using the March version 3 release, I'll be using the version 2. So yeah, to try to clarify and make it easier to find, I'll be listing all the rules that I will be putting on myself for this.

1. I cannot ever use a daily dungeon (in this playthrough)
2. I cannot ever use the money-maker game (in this playthrough)
3. I must always have a full party (the first battle of the game is the only exception)
4. While I must use two codes to accomplish 3, I cannot utilize any items gotten from codes after I complete the intro (and no Wiki-tan in fights after the intro either)
5. I think that's it.... If something else crosses my mind I'll add it here.

That's more or less it. My update schedule will probably vary a lot since I actually have a fair amount of free time, focus and dedication are things that I often find myself in short supply of (which is also why I've never actually 'completed' a full playthrough of Harem Collector yet). I hope that those of you who read this will enjoy it or find some information to glean from it, and comments (especially praise, my ego likes positive feedback) are appreciated. Now then, let's see if I can manage to entertain you all while you wait for an update on one of the other two Let's Plays!

Edit: For anyone curious about how to get Wiki-tan or Cerulean, Cerulean is gotten by giving your hero the same name that I do. To get Wiki-tan you must enter a specific code, either in the name select screen or in the manor, to get this code for yourself you will have to contribute to the wiki. If any further clarification is needed on either of these tasks please let me know!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently doing: December 2015 version playthrough

Rules:
1. No grinding. I may step into the repeatable dungeons to get a feel for them (and maybe make some jokes) but I will not save afterwards.
2. I cannot ever use the money-maker game (in this playthrough)
3. No code advantages, this includes Cerulean and Wiki-tan
4. All difficult boss battles must maintain a 2/5 viability
5. Wiki usage must be kept to a minimum (chores will be excused)

Current playthrough starts
Last edited by 2095conash on Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
community manager and admin, feel free to for any comments, questions, or concerns.

I guess I get a mod voice now too. Cool. If you see me using this someone dun goofed.
2095conash

Re: Conash plays Harem Collector!

Postby Trilonias » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:35 am

I've been enjoying the other two thus far, and I think I may want to do my own (though I think I may wait till the next update to do so for various reasons) and another shall certainly be more peer pressure to bear!

Interesting set of rules. I look forward to seeing how you play and the comments you make. Ah, the comments are some of the best part!
Meow.
Trilonias

Postby 2095conash » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:45 am

So I'm a bit tired, probably not thinking straight, paranoid brain trying to figure out what all of you are thinking as you wander into this thread.... Perfect time to start! So let's begin, obviously the first thing that will catch my eye in the intro like the other two Let's Plays will be the name selec-

Oh right, that message always catches my eye first... While I do have some thoughts on it, I imagine no one will care to hear them, and they're not anything really of importance, maybe even a bit political iunno, not really the time or place, especially since I'm clearly not that passionate with these particular thoughts. My possibly non-existent thoughts aside though, I do hope that this short message box does help cut down on some of the hate-mail that NoMoshing gets!

Now to naming my character! There are a wide variety of names that I could choose for our Hero, a name fitting of one full of future and fighting for righteousness such as he! However I'm obsessive and even in this playthrough I can't turn down some of the shiny bonuses that we can get....

So then we get the speech about how awesome our hero is! Oh the great many deeds he's totally done and not at all half-assed! So now to begin drinking ourselves stupid!

We talk to a few peop-

.... Well, seems the girls are keeping a close eye on Stark... Knowing both of these characters at least ONE of them has their eyes wandering a bit south of the equator.

Anyways, we drink, we black out, Gargan does things to our unconscious body or so the text implies. After waking up in the sewers, getting the sword, and starting the first battle I can't help but think that I'm a little over-prepared....

From what I can tell, this is the only battle in the game that you can't have a full party for (unless there's some other party member code I'm unaware of....). Not that it really matters, with how this version of the game treats experience, bringing even 2 people into this fight results in no experience (since the 1 experience point gets cut in half and rounded down). This issue of getting less experience then intended persists throughout the Lord of the Manor quest and is actually why I will admit that I think the experience system being changed is for the better, even if I personally loved the ability to power-level up through a good portion of the game via soloing.

We talk to people, pay off some debts, recruit a paladin, and ready ourselves for the most rigged gambling institution in the entire kingdom....

.... But I will have to wait until a different playthrough to take it on. Soon you will work for me old man, soon....

Anyways, time to take on a bunch of thieves hiding in the back-room. Being the morally upright player that I am, I decide to help out the church some.

You know, playing the April Fool's version of the game I found it a bit interesting doing the gambling den. I brought in a party of 3 and it seemed to cut down on the experience, so it didn't have the updated experience script of March version 3, however the spot that had the 100,000 sil had a money bag before talking to it (that somehow turned into a bunch of flowers when you talk to it from the angle you see in the above picture), which as seen in the version 2 isn't there (though if memory serves some previous versions did have that money-bag). What really makes it a bit interesting is that the April Fools version has the updated slave collar event, where you pick them up with the key, which isn't in March version 2, which means that the April Fools version takes stuff that hadn't yet been added along with not having all of the latest code stuff (and I think that money bag stuff is old stuff that was removed awhile ago). But now I'm just rambling to myself.

Anyways, this den is super easy, Wiki-tan is OP and can one-hit the thugs with a regular attack (though that's more because of her equipment then her natural stats probably), I don't even need to have her use any magic (I don't feel bad using her in here since there's no question that this can be done with just Hero and Therese). Cerulean is pretty weak, doesn't seem able to equip anything, has no skills at all, stats seem pretty average at best, and he takes like 90 experience to get to level 2 while everyone else takes 30 so he's going to be lagging behind in levels. Perfect party slot filler I'd say, contributes less then a 'full' party member while still ensuring that my experience gets cut into all the pieces that I want it to be cut into. I haven't seen him at anything other then level 1 so hopefully level 2 doesn't make him ungodly powerful.

We slaughter people, we free prisoners, we take a slave, we blackmail the real-estate agent, you all know how that goes. I'm also pretty tired and can't think of anything really to say that probably hasn't already been said. So I'm about to wrap this up and head to bed, but before I do, let's take a look at what experience Stark is at!

Had I not brought in as many party members as I did, would have made out with a nice 133 experience for the same fights. Like I said, I do think changing up the experience system was better for the game as a whole even if it does take out some of the fun of being able to 'game the system' like I would do.
community manager and admin, feel free to for any comments, questions, or concerns.

I guess I get a mod voice now too. Cool. If you see me using this someone dun goofed.
2095conash

Postby Wrecca » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:36 pm

Wrecca

Postby 2095conash » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:48 pm

2095conash

Postby Wrecca » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:24 pm

Oh gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up. ^_^
Wrecca

Postby 2095conash » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:24 pm

So now for my adventures on the first day of the game! With how I like to play, this day is rather long so I'll just be doing it for now. First thing will be to get my healing set up, now normally in a solo playthrough this means encourage but since soloing is the opposite of what I want to do....

While it's usually a good idea to get encourage anyways I say since it's pretty good, I actually ran the math, since I'll be having this guy in my part (rendering encourage not so vital) I'd actually rather save getting encourage for later, this allows me to get the Amazing Old Man on day 2 without having to burn down the prosperous farms, saving me 400 sil (for now) that I can instead invest and get 40 sil for the end day stuff.

I guess now would be a good time to note that even though I'm trying to do this with limitations on my resources, it's more of to get an idea as to what you can POSSIBLY do without daily dungeon and money making game, it's not meant to be a 'what most people would do!' playthrough, this is so that I can have a better understanding what sorta finances someone will have available if they don't want to save-scum and get REALLY unlucky with the daily dungeons, along with getting a better understanding as to how to better use my party members for various quests (that's why I'm ensuring that I always have a full party, lowest level possible so that when the next version comes out, I'll be able to give advice that should help for all quests). Now, even though I know that the average player wouldn't do this, I will be digging up all buried treasure basically ASAP, as again this is about what they have access to them, any limitations one may go through either through their lack of knowledge or through their unwillingness to get as much as possible from the wiki advantage isn't really something that I can completely compensate for without ultimately being unable to give any solid advice in my guides, if they deviate so much from my guides as to render what advice I do offer useless, well then they'll just have to continue to deviate from it.

Anyways, time to get us some delicious debt to fund our all-knowing digging adventure!

So I buy the shovel, I dig everything up. I go and do pusher's lament, utilizing my all-knowing knowledge I earn money during it as well as get some pretty sweet loot. Personally, from a bit of a moral standpoint, Pusher's lament is a bit tricky. Because on the one hand I don't see how it's the government's business to lock up non-violent people who make bad decisions (in turn making them unwilling to seek medical help for their addiction making their personal situation worse) and making the prisons more crowded because some people got all authoritarian and decided that certain kinds of fun meant that you were a horrible human being. But on the other hand this guy probably isn't going to be giving his clients good stuff, probably the kind of cheap stuff to make himself more money probably at the expense of the customers (and a fair chance that his money will either be used for other criminal things or to pay people who will use money for criminal things). Then there's the whole bribing vs blackmailing thing where the threats made are more of the result of public opinion (rather then any sort of governmental entity or even threats of harm), but is still causing rather terrible considering this is just a person going about their own business.... At the end of the day, these guys are all pieces of code and I enjoy the loot and money that the quest provides so morality be damned, Middle Kingdom is messed up in the first place and it's not like I'm not hurting any real human beings.

Now my morality/political rambling aside, let's check out our cash!

Not quite enough. See, I want to pay off my debt to the bank, getting Doll on day 1 is something I always try to do in my playthroughs since it really helps her have a lot of experience, plus the alternative to do with that about 10k is to invest for Yamamaya, and the difference between spending the 10k for either of them on day 1 is either preventing about 500 in interest or getting 500 returns from the slavers a day earlier, but since the 500 in interest is 'earned' on day 2 it's more profitable sil wise to go for Doll, plus it lets her get in on all the experience of the Day 1 fights instead of missing out on a portion of it. Ah math, my good old friend, giving me slight comparative advantages like this 500 sil earlier (letting me invest it earning about 25 or so sil that I wouldn't if I went for Yamamaya first). Right so let's try to get ahold of another 7 sil to fix our debt issue, and I know JUST the place!

With this I go and pay off my debt and grab Doll, keep her name as Doll because I'm boring like that. I take Wiki-tan out of the party because she defeats the point of seeing how difficult things are given how she comes in with rather good starting equipment and a spell for almost every element, both single and multi-target ones even, which allows her to effectively be a damager/debuffer in EVERY situation, and that's even if you don't make use of the ability to make her stronger...

Anyways, I'm going to do the smuggling quest now since it gives us 840 sil which can be used to invest in stuff today, so let's see about making use of all the equipment that I have, and I've gotta thank Kotonaru's thread about hidden item stats I better understand how threat generation works! This helps me namely with one specific piece of equipment.

The fortified cloak. While most of my other goodies that I got from my sidequesting are heavy armor (and thus on Doll), I've actually been using the fortified cloak wrong in several playthroughs. See, since the Ogre doesn't do any magical attacks (as far as I know) I never really bothered to care who I put it on, so I just put it on Hero because he's got low resist, this is actually a bad choice. Since the Ogre has no magical or force attacks, the cloak offers no way to reduce damage in the fight, the only thing that it does offer in the fight is that it's Casual Armor, meaning that it gives a threat generation modifier of 0.9x, this is probably why I had trouble keeping Felix alive in other playthroughs where I took only Felix and Hero against the Ogre with no magic missile, since Hero had the fortified cloak it reduced his threat generation making him and Felix more equal.

So remember children, when you're going to fight a bunch of random enemies, they will think that the naked lunatic next to you is more of a threat then the little kid in in 'causal clothes' in the back healing everyone! I kinda wish that I had the Lucky hat for this fight but I had trouble getting the world map encounter with the dark seed at this point so I figure I'd hold off on trying to get the Lucky Hat, even though it would be good for the Hero (since luck it adds to physical damage at 1/4th the rate of attack, add in the increase critical chance stuff and it's good for an early game offensive hat). Anyways, Ogre time! Oh and I'm avoiding all other encounters because I want to save them to be strategically used exp piles.

All things considered, I actually got rather lucky in this fight, he didn't use poison, Felix was only silenced once (Doll and Hero never), he only buffed his attack once and that was a turn before I killed him. Things went pretty well especially since I didn't have encourage, Cerulean was hurting pretty badly since even a regular attack was able to do roughly 2/5ths of his max health, Felix was in a similar boat damage wise but thanks to making smart use of my equipment he only took like direct attack, and the shockwaves didn't hurt him that bad. Doll was basically always at first health thanks to her regen evocation, and Hero wasn't really attacked that often, but pummeling him with attacks and using Assault to beef up my damage output helped take him out quickly. Oh look at that, Doll and Cerulean are both level 2 now!... And Hero still isn't level 3....

Oh did I mention I had been doing all of the digging and side-questing off of memory alone? While I don't have an issue with using the wiki I have a pretty good memory for things that I enjoy, so I remembered a LOT. Though some things took me a few tries to remember correctly, like I thought the secret clock code was 6:10:05, rather then 6:10:50 that it is, but none the less I got everything! Though I did almost leave Giant's path without getting the two chests there!

Yeah, I don't have those chest memorized as much as the other items. But the important thing is that in the end I got them! So after that I didn't have much left for this day so I thought I'd take another crack at....

Yay I got the world map encounters that I wanted! But yeah, at this point I was about to go and do the Florine quest, but if you're playing the way that I am, you'll want to confirm what investments you want to do before you do it, since even though you'll get to spend the 1,500 reward before the end of the day, once you collect it you can't go into the manor without ending the day so you want to be sure what you want to do in terms of gifts, Apple Kid, and the Cannery at least before you collect that. I haven't invested in the cannery yet this playthrough but we'll see how I'm feeling tomorrow. I did though pull up the wiki to make sure that I would spend my funds EXACTLY (well, rounded to the nearest 50), because I'm that obsessive with optimizing.... Once I figured that out and dealt with the Apple Kid and gifts, I went on to do the actual quest.

Wasn't that hard, have Hero and Doll go after a Shaman if there's one there, have Felix and Cerulean go after a raider, and once all Shaman and Raiders are down, everyone go after a brute. It wasn't hard really, and it's not hard when you take a level 3 Hero and level 2 Felix to do it either. Most of the early game content is fairly easy to manage with proper strategy (er, health watching I should say), I mean the Ogre (who's the boss of a level 5 quest) isn't too troublesome to solo with a level 3 Hero, so really before a Forge Too Far, there's no real issue with carrying an extra party member, and once we hit there the average player will probably have 4 party members (thus I won't be having a super easy time when the average player would be having a difficult time, from what I can tell at least).

So we finish up the quest, collect our reward, and take a look at our sil since the orcs drop some pocket change, might have enough to invest in the flower girl if I'm luck-

.... For those of you who haven't been keeping up with my funds, I had about 620 before doing this quest, add in the 1,500 that you get for turning in the quest and I was expecting about 2,120 plus some pocket change. An extra thousand is going to help with some investments. Luckily it doesn't ruin my plan because I didn't plan on investing in the sitches store in Westcastle, which takes exactly 1,000, so I go and invest my money and that's basically the end of the day. Let's see how my Hero is doing experience wise for any of you keeping track at home!

Yep. He's just under level 4, if I didn't have Wiki-tan and Cerulean then he WOULD be level 4 for sure. I doubt that this slower leveling pacing will really ruin things, because as we get to the later levels the probably 100-300 experience missed (thus far) will become entirely irrelevant to one's ability to complete a dungeon, none the less being on the lower end of experience (for Hero at least) will definitely force me to be a bit more creative with my strategies.

Next update will probably be several days, since I won't have so much sidequesting that I'll be doing will be able to get in more actual content and all.

2095conash

Postby Trilonias » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:57 am

I'm not sure how to take this... on one hand, I finally get to see Wiki-tan and Cerulean... on the other, more debt! Also, this memorizing certain things is useful.
Meow.
Trilonias

Postby lostone2 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:28 am

Well with three playthroughs on the way, it's going to be necessary to create a new Category... ;)

Having said this (I'm only half-joking), it's really interesting to compare three different styles (and learning a lot in the process).
lostone2

Postby Wrecca » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:39 am

Wrecca

Next

Return to Harem Collector