This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harem Collector Modding tutorial

Hey everyone! Since it seems that there's interest from people in how to get modding but they don't really know how to start, I thought I'd take some time to make a thread to help people out as best as I can! I will be editing this over time as either new questions or issues come up, so apologies if it doesn't answer all of your questions but feel free to ask and either I or someone else will get back to you!

Oh, and be warned that forum rules are still in effect, so mods which violate those rules will be removed from the forum.

What do you need?

Well this is going to depend a lot on the type of mod that you're planning on making. If you're only trying to say replace the facesets in the game all that you need is whatever tools it takes to make the faces and then knowledge of what the file names of the existing facesets are. All other mods however will require ".rvdata2" files which will require RPG Maker VX Ace. I am afraid that both RPG Maker XP, VX, 2000, and MV all use different types of data (MV in particular runs on Javascript while all others run on Ruby adding an extra layer of incompatibility) so without a way to convert your data from one extension to '.rvdata2' you will need RPG Maker VX Ace specifically. If you want to edit an existing map or any other data file from the base game, you will find a decryptor tool for RPG Maker VX Ace (and a few others) at the bottom of this post, you will be able to take your existing download of Harem Collector and decrypt it so that you can then proceed to edit files and create your own mods as you see fit!

What can I do?

As mentioned above you can replace any graphic file in the game with another graphic file and the same can be done with all the data files by having a suitable replacement with the right name in the proper folder. We also have tools in place for your to create your own 'map packs' where you make completely custom maps that players can access, though do note that the only way to natively access a map pack is through the code machine, which will teleport the player onto map 1 of your map pack in the center of the screen (based on the default size) with the screen faded out. From there you will need to turn the screen back on yourself (after you put the player in whatever position you want) to then allow them to continue forward, though you can also make mods for existing maps to create other ways for players to access your own map packs, details on how to do that will be coming later. Conversely if you aren't looking to create/edit maps, you can instead modify the databases like the 'Common Events' database where a lot of the character interactions and all of the sex scenes are, but be warned that modifying anything in the 'Database' section of Harem Collector can create bugs in future releases if you simply replace the existing file, I will go into more detail on what I would advise for these sorts of mods in a second.

How do I install my mod?

For most mods (aside from those detailed in the next section) after you have created the files that you want, you will find them either in the 'Data' folder of your unencrypted game (to find out which map file corresponds to the map you made, highlight the map you made and press the space ball to pull up the map data, in the upper left corner of this screen you will see the map ID number which tells you what map file you need) or in one of the various subfolders under the 'Graphics' folder, make sure these have the proper names then put them into your Mods folder under the same folders. So to replace an existing an image that shows up during one of the sex scenes you would first go into the 'Mods' folder, then into the 'Graphics' folder (create one if it's missing, be careful because if the folder is called 'graphics' it will not work), then into the 'Pictures' folder and put your new image there with the same name as the image you are trying to replace (Typically using a format of 'Alina1-1'), and from then on the game will load up your image instead of the image that we put into the game!

For Map-packs, you will need to create a custom folder inside the 'Data' folder with the name of whatever your map pack is (this name will be used by the code machine to start up your map pack and be used to store self-switches so I advise that you avoid choosing names other people would), and make sure to include not only all map files relevant but also the 'MapInfos' file, as otherwise your map pack will not function.

What should I do for the 'Databases'?

If you plan to create a mod for the Actors, Classes, Skills, Items, Weapons, Armors, Enemies, States, or Tilesets you will want to include '<Modded>' inside the 'notes' section of anything that you change and not put it in anything you want to remain the same. If you plan to create a mod for the Common Events, you will want any common events you change to have their first line (feel free to double click on the first like to insert something new there) be a 'comment' that says '<Modded>' and nothing else, for Troop mods you will do the same thing except make sure that this 'comment' is on page 0 of the troop data. If you want to create a mod for animations, make sure somewhere in the name of your new animation it includes '<Modded>' so that it knows which animations to replace in the base game while leaving the rest alone. Once you have added in the '<Modded>' tag in whatever way the database has required and modified the database to whatever extent you wish, you will then go to the 'Data' folder of your RPG Maker game, grab the relevant file, and rename it to whatever it is that you wish the file to do. For example if you wanted to create a 'no creampie' mod that changed all sex scenes that had creampies to not I would advise that you name it 'NoCreampies' or 'AlwaysPullOut' making sure to keep it as a .rvdata2 extention, this ways players will be able to easily know what file is doing what. To install any of these sorts of mods you go into your 'Mods' folder, then into your 'Data' folder, then you go into the folder matching the Database that you are changing (I.E. the 'CommonEvents' folder for the above example) creating one if it isn't already there, and put your file there. This process may have extra steps than the simpler replacement method described earlier, but this ensures it that your mod will not risk removing sex scenes that we add into the game later, thus requiring you to constantly update your mod.

Can I add in or modify script data?

Currently, you can replace the existing script data using the method described in 'How do I Install my mod?' but this is not recommended due to all the changes I make to scripts regularly. Another method for modifying script data that will have better results is being worked on, but it is not yet ready. I am hoping to get it done either today or in the next few days.

---

And that's all that I can think of for now! Hope you all have fun modding! The decryptor for RPG Maker XP, VX, and VX Ace can be found below and should come with instructions for how to use it! Feel free to ask questions if you're having any trouble!

All Decryptor: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rtlrwn515z...ypter.zip?dl=0

Thanks so much for this guide! It's super helpful.

I do have one question. I managed to use the decryptor to extract the game files from my copy of Harem Collector version 0.46.1, and then moved them into the folder, replacing them where necessary, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to use it to make it possible to open the game up within the RPG Maker Editor. The decryptor did not actually come with instructions, so I'm pretty much just winging it at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by HorseHater View Post
      Thanks so much for this guide! It's super helpful.

I do have one question. I managed to use the decryptor to extract the game files from my copy of Harem Collector version 0.46.1, and then moved them into the folder, replacing them where necessary, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to use it to make it possible to open the game up within the RPG Maker Editor. The decryptor did not actually come with instructions, so I'm pretty much just winging it at this point.
      After you have the game.rgss3a selected in the decrypter press the generate Game.rvproj2 button. Said file will be generated inside the decryptor folder, move that file into the HC folder where you moved the game files to. Open the VX Ace editor and use that to open the Game.rvproj2 file

Comment

To open a VX Ace game you need to double-click the Game.rvproj2 file. If there is not such file you need to make it yourself, or use the decriptor to generate it for you.

Disclaimer: I have not checked the decrypter linked in this thread, but if it is the same one I am familiar with, then it already has such an option.

Comment

Originally posted by RomeoPapa View Post

After you have the game.rgss3a selected in the decrypter press the generate Game.rvproj2 button. Said file will be generated inside the decryptor folder, move that file into the HC folder where you moved the game files to. Open the VX Ace editor and use that to open the Game.rvproj2 file
          Thank you! I can't believe I missed that.

Comment

Is there any safe way to add our own switches/variables? Or do we have to make do with self-switches?

Comment

Thanks for making this guide, I'm going to get started on my long-lived dream of creating a fire emblem style support log / replay menu for party banter and vignettes. Maybe accessible through the satisfaction menu or code lever. Although with my level of technical expertise it probably won't be done by 2030.... either way should be interesting even if I fail miserably at least it gives me something to do and who knows I might end up loving it

Comment

• 2095conash
                2095conash commented
                Editing a comment
                Haha! Looking forward to it! Feel free to make your own thread and to ask specific questions relating to your mod, or visit us over on the discord!
            Working...
            X