Hard Mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Mode

Let's see no daily grinding place... Oh so just my normal run considering I'm to lazy to bother grinding every day
    lets see what else beating 5 levels below the recommended threshold, okay I call bull, I've always recommended having 5 levels above the regular threshold, infact I've complained some of the bosses recently have become increasingly unfair, and now you want to boost there stats even further, well guess I'll have to recruit jonagold early so I can start farming those op explodo potions oh and recruit our all mighty saviour THE OLD MAN

... Or cheese it with wiki bear I mean wiki tan

Hard Mode is gonna completely optional. Wiki-tan will certainly be an option, however you won't be able to adjust her stats with the book in Hard Mode. Also 5 levels below is completely viable, I recently managed to push Princess Bride 16 levels below recommended
    Last edited by RomeoPapa; 10-26-2019, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RomeoPapa View Post
      Hard Mode is gonna completely optional. Wiki-tan will certainly be an option, however you won't be able to adjust her stats with the book in Hard Mode. Also 5 levels below is completely viable, I recently managed to push Princess Bride 16 levels below recommended
      I could do it 30 levels below just give me wiki tan

Also hard mode being optional, well to quote Yahtzee "Playing the game is optional"

Comment

You will have Wiki-tan, she won't be removed just because you choose Hard Mode, she is already plenty strong, a wide range of elemental magic and high stat progression. The only difference is you can't get max stats using the book. Also that doesn't invalidate my original point, Hard Mode is an optional mode, you don't get any exclusive scenes or content playing it, the only difference is it gives players a way to challenge themselves in combat, if this isn't for you you have the option to not do it without losing out on anything
        Last edited by RomeoPapa; 10-28-2019, 01:22 PM.

Comment

I'll be honest Golem, it doesn't sound like you would enjoy Hard mode. This mode basically just takes more time and causes stress, for some like me being able to overcome that is rewarding but with how you've commented on it, it doesn't sound like you're the sort of person who would think the same. The whole game is optional as you said, heck it's even freely available so no need to "Get your money's worth", and because the game is optional I would expect that people who do not enjoy the game simply not play it, just like I expect that people who don't enjoy Hard mode to not play it. We're not talking about an exp booster you pay for that made us reduce normal exp to encourage players to buy it, and I don't know about you but I don't ever recall Yahtzee taking the position that anyone who plays a game should have to play it on every difficulty or else there's no point. I am a big advocate for players playing on whatever difficulty they enjoy the most, and plan to add in more tools for easy mode to further help smooth things over, so please if you aren't interested in this extra challenge don't feel compelled to force yourself to struggle through it.

Comment

Originally posted by 2095conash View Post
            I'll be honest Golem, it doesn't sound like you would enjoy Hard mode. This mode basically just takes more time and causes stress, for some like me being able to overcome that is rewarding but with how you've commented on it, it doesn't sound like you're the sort of person who would think the same. The whole game is optional as you said, heck it's even freely available so no need to "Get your money's worth", and because the game is optional I would expect that people who do not enjoy the game simply not play it, just like I expect that people who don't enjoy Hard mode to not play it. We're not talking about an exp booster you pay for that made us reduce normal exp to encourage players to buy it, and I don't know about you but I don't ever recall Yahtzee taking the position that anyone who plays a game should have to play it on every difficulty or else there's no point. I am a big advocate for players playing on whatever difficulty they enjoy the most, and plan to add in more tools for easy mode to further help smooth things over, so please if you aren't interested in this extra challenge don't feel compelled to force yourself to struggle through it.
            But I need to becuase I might miss out on something you add ;-;

Comment

Originally posted by GolemGaming55 View Post

But I need to becuase I might miss out on something you add ;-;
              Haha, I appreciate that and I get the concern, however Hard Mode is not only an endeavor I'm taking fully by myself (so none of NoMoshing's great writing added), but I feel that it'd be against the spirit of letting players choose their own difficulty if I added in any substantial content. There may be some messages here and there to put in a little joke when I close something off (like how Hard Mode will not give players the free blessing in 'Night of the Raping Dead', so you get a quick two messages referencing this before the priest goes back to normal and you're able to buy a blessing if you want it), but there won't be any hard-mode exclusive scenes or equipment. I plan to maybe down the line create some weaker versions of some powerful items (like the bag of marbles or nail bombs) to replace existing items that you get in normal mode that I think are just too powerful (normal mode would be unaffected, and you'd still get just as many items, they'd just be replaced by weaker versions) but that's about it. While I may like it for example when I get something nice for my trouble, if I gave out some super powerful equipment for hard mode then it'd kinda be a little weird as players who want the challenge are getting powerful equipment that takes away the challenge, and players who want that super powerful equipment to make things easier aren't getting it. I've thought about it extensively, and really the only 'reward' that will be awaiting at the end of Hard Mode will be an achievement, one that doesn't even give a stat boost. This may frustrate completionists a lot, but they could also ask Romeo or someone to send them a save file real quick so that the aggressive achievement system will mark them as having earned the achievement themselves if the 100% mark is that important to them... Maybe I'll even make the achievement not appear in the list unless you're in Hard Mode/have earned it...

Comment

Seems I spoke too soon. NM has added in some unlockables if you play through Hard Mode. It's nothing game-changing or anything, but if you want an easier time handling Hard Mode to see all of it, it might benefit you to take the time between now and the next public release (currently looking to be December 11th) and try to better learn the game mechanics. You can always start with just taking on all the quests at level, though if you really want to get into things I would suggest trying "Stuck in the Middle with you" (the quest where you get Bronwyn) with Hero at level 5 and the rest of your party at level 4 (without Wiki-tan). The level limitation means that typically you only have a handful of party members to choose from, so figuring out who to bring and who not to bring can, and more importantly why, can be a real good way at getting a better grasp over the game mechanics as a whole. Doing it with Hero at level 6 or 7 would also work (with the other party members a level below).

Comment

Originally posted by 2095conash View Post
                  Seems I spoke too soon. NM has added in some unlockables if you play through Hard Mode. It's nothing game-changing or anything, but if you want an easier time handling Hard Mode to see all of it, it might benefit you to take the time between now and the next public release (currently looking to be December 11th) and try to better learn the game mechanics. You can always start with just taking on all the quests at level, though if you really want to get into things I would suggest trying "Stuck in the Middle with you" (the quest where you get Bronwyn) with Hero at level 5 and the rest of your party at level 4 (without Wiki-tan). The level limitation means that typically you only have a handful of party members to choose from, so figuring out who to bring and who not to bring can, and more importantly why, can be a real good way at getting a better grasp over the game mechanics as a whole. Doing it with Hero at level 6 or 7 would also work (with the other party members a level below).
                  Oh god what is he adding what I need to know if it's worth hours of agonizing torture for ;-;

Comment

I really like the idea of having a limited amount of party members to choose from, that way enemies could be balanced in response to the handful of party members available.
                    I often find my self not needing to defeat enemies without any particular tactic or having one character to carry the whole team because the dev has no way of knowing what party members the player is using if they are all available for every quest.

Comment

I'm confused I thought we could only have 4 party members and couldn't switch

Comment

I'm confused I thought we could only have 4 party members and couldn't switch
                        What's being referred to both by Tyler and myself are the options of party members you could have. You have 14 different party members that you can use (and one of two versions of Hero guaranteed for most quests), which gives you a lot more choices for any given quest than earlier quests where a lot of the mid-game characters (like , , or ) aren't available.

Comment

Okay so how are you going to limit characters then?????????? ©a®

Comment

Okay so how are you going to limit characters then?????????? ©a®
                            Conash talked about challenges. The one he mentioned was stuck in the middle at level 5, if you want to complete that quest at level a there is a limit to how far you can progress in the game I.E you would also have a limited amount of characters available to you.

Comment

I'm still confused guess I'll have to see when it comes pout

Comment

Working...
                              X